The sewing machine is one of the oldest tools known to mankind. It has seen many improvements and iterations throughout the years. These days, we have fully automated systems that make sewing easy and fast.
With the improvement in technology, there are various types of sewing machines available in the market. Even if you are not an expert tailor, you need the knowledge of the technical aspect of your sewing machine so you can troubleshoot when issues eventually arise.
I know that it’s no easy task to choose a sewing machine for home use.
This is why this guide is here to help. We have done our research and come up with the best 10 sewing machine for use at home. We will examine the features of each of the machines alongside the pros and cons you can expect from each.
We made sure that durability, ease of use, quiet operation, convenience and strength were present in our top choices. If you are out there looking for a good sewing machine for use at home, be rest assured that this review will hold you by the hand.
1. Brother CS6000i Sewing and Quilting Machine
If you are a beginner and in need of a versatile, affordable and reliable sewing machine, this is a pretty good choice. Brother CS6000i is reasonably priced and good for beginners to learn their craft. It’s a computerized sewing machine that uses cutting edge technology to make sewing easy and smooth for all. Due to the amazing automation, it is simple to use and comes with many different accessories.
For folks into personalizing and customizing, there are 60 built-in stitches. You can also use the automatic buttonhole maker which is user-friendly and puts you in charge of your project. This machine is light in weight, weighing just about 13 pounds and very portable. There is a case which makes it easy to carry about.
We love the LCD display and the advanced technology that forms the bulk of this machine. The functions are pretty simple, simple enough for beginners to understand. Everything is made clear and easy from selecting different stitches to choosing the length and width.
We love the variety of accessories that comes with Brother CS6000i, even at a pretty cheap price.
Features of Brother CS6000i
- Six point feed dogs
- Three spool caps and spool pin
- 1-touch functions: start/stop and reverse
- Twin needles with second spool pin
- LCD display with stitch selection by button control
- Easy drop-in bobbin and three bobbins supplied
- Manual thread cutter built in and housed on left side of machine
- Comes with abundant of accessories
- Quiet operation with LCD display
- Very wide table gives enough work room
- Machine gives uniform speed
- Hard dust cover which prevents build up of dust
- Machine is not equipped for thick materials
- User cannot adjust presser foot pressure
- Not enough storage for accessories
2. Brother XL2600I 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine
Brother XL2600I is known for quite a number of stitches and accessories. It is recommended for beginners and advanced sewers alike. It can handle simple and complex projects, in short, whatever you throw at it.
Brother XL2600I is very easy to use. There will be no case of complication and confusion. Instructions are clear making it easy to work on the machine. Stitch count is pretty important when looking for a sewing machine to buy. The XL2600I offers 25 built-in stitches which allow you to work on lightweight to thick and heavy materials. We also love that XL2600I has many accessories like a spool pin, screwdriver, a needle pack, and a twin needle.
According to many users that have bought brother XL2600I, it is a terrific tool to teach kids how to sew. We love the 25 years warranty that comes with it. This is a perfect machine for everyone and whatever you need – decorating quilting, home fashion projects, and general sewing.
If you are thinking of getting your first sewing machine, this is a terrific choice. It is simple to use, less complicated and good for starter projects. It is low priced, fast and powerful
- Comes with 25 built-in stitches
- Buttonhole maker (1-step automatic)
- Drop-in top bobbin is jam resistant
- Stitch length dial
- Needle threading system
- Pretty quiet operation
- Varieties of stitches
- Very cheap
- You can see how much thread is left via the transparent bobbin
- Threading comes easy
- Absence of carrying case
- Plastic material not very durable.
3. Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Whatever it is you want to do – sewing, quilting, and embroidering, Brother SE400 does it all. It gives a very comfortable and comprehensible sewing function, with a 4 by 4 inch embroidery option. It comes with 67 built-in stitches and 70 embroidery designs, all for you to use.
This is a computerized sewing machine which gives users the opportunity to enjoy some basic essential features such as light workspace, quick and easy bobbin winding system, top-loading bobbin, etc. There is also a built-in push-button threader, alongside a cutter.
The LCD screen can be used to watch instructions on ways to operate the built-in stitch patterns which is a nice feature and removes confusion. It also features some high-end qualities like a 7-point feed dog which makes it easy to feed the fabric to the machine.
This machine is light, portable and suitable for your sewing and embroidery task. The computer connectivity that brother SE400 comes with makes it stand out among others. With this, you get an updated machine every day, giving you the option to download new embroidery designs.
- 70 embroidery designs that can be updated
- Built in stitches, up to 67
- 4 by 4 inches embroidery option
- Top loading bobbin
- Easy bobbin winding system
- Perfect for first timers as the control system are pretty easy
- Strong, portable and easy to use
- USB port available for download and fast updates
- Large embroidery area
- Needles are not very strong
- MAC users might experience difficulty connecting the machine to the internet.
4. Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine
Need a sewing machine that gives the ability to create as much as 960 various stitches? Then Singer 9985 is a good choice. Just like any other sewing machine, this machine has essential features necessary in a good sewing machine like the LCD display and the automatic threading system.
It stands out from other sewing machines in that it has a pretty large LCD screen which gives users the ability to select and edit the stitch they want to work with in a really personalized way. Users can also customize thread tension, stitch length and width as well.
We love the impressive advanced features such as the needle up/down, stitch memory, appliquéing, pattern elongation and the automatic thread trimmer. With this machine, you also get features like elongation features and mirror imaging which gives you a mirror image of all stitch type present. The elongation feature allows you to make a 2 to 5 time’s magnification of the available stitches.
To every professional sewer out there, this is a machine worth considering. It features and performance that is guaranteed to take care of your needs.
- Mirror image and elongation
- Needle up/down for quilting
- Large LCD display
- 960 different stitches available
- Automatic threading system
- Durability with the heavy-duty metal frame
- Ability to create personalization via alphanumeric fonts
- Presence of a stitch reference chart
- Presser feet included
- A little heavy
- Cover is not strong enough (if you’re rough with your machine)
5. Brother 1034D ¾ Thread Serger – Fast and Powerful
If you need a sewing machine dedicated to handle and finish hems and edges of various types of fabrics, Brother 1034D ¾ Thread Serger is a good choice. This machine comes with 22 stitch functions with features that allows you adjust the width, three thread overlock, four thread overlock, narrow hem and ribbon lock stitches, and rolled hem.
This is a fast and powerful machine that you can use to finish your hem in no time. This is possible because of the incredible stitch rate of 1300 stitches per minute. While it doesn’t come with the automatic threading feature, threading is easy as there is an easy-to-follow color-coded lay-in threading.
We do love the fact that Brother 1034D ¾ Thread Serger comes with a unique fabric feed which helps gives your stitch a beautiful finish, whatever type you plan to make. You can easily remove the free arm by sliding it off. Also, the fact that this machine uses standard sewing machine makes it appealing. Hence if you will be using this machine, be sure to go for sewing machine needles designed for sergers.
- Stitch rate of 1300 SPM
- 22 stitch functions
- Narrow hem and ribbon lock stitches
- Three and four thread overlock
- on and off knife feature for flatlock and pintucking
- You can adjust the foot presser to give consistent quality stitching on all fabric type
- Presence of color coded threading guide
- On and off knife feature that can be adjusted
- Threading is easy
- A little noisy
- No automatic threading system
6. Singer 4411 Heavy Duty
If you will be dealing with a lot of heavy fabrics, Singer 4411 is a perfect choice. It was made to meet the needs of sewers who deals with fabrics like leather, denim, and vinyl. It is a machine recommended for both home and industrial uses. This is because the features and durability are good for commercial and business uses, but the price makes it perfect for home use.
While most sewing machines used at home are in the range of 800-850 stitches per minute, you get as much as 1100 SPM from singer 4411.
Whether at home or in your business, as long as you are working with thick fabric, Singer 4411 is a good option. It comes with a number of accessories like the ripper/brush as well as the quilting guide, extra spools, and three extra bobbins. You get a 25 years limited warranty on the machine head: 5 years on light, motor, switches, wiring and speed control; a year on bulb, adjustments, attachments and belts.
The machine is pretty affordable with a powerful motor suitable for heavy fabrics and quilting.
- Heavy-duty metal with housing high-grade plastic
- Powerful motor
- Drop feed lever
- Stainless steel bedplate that keeps the material moving on the plate without friction
- Free arm sewing and drop feed lever
- Built-in handle for carrying machine
- Extra high presser foot height
- Foot pressure can be adjusted
- Varieties of stitches
- Even and high-quality stitches
- Extra strong motor
- Works through thick fabric without stress
- Some users reported little difficulty threading
- Because machine is lightweight, heavy fabric possibly could drag it
- A little noisy in operation
7. Brother LX3817 Sewing Machine Review
Brother LX3817 is a small, light, compact and easy to use sewing machine. It gives users the ability to chose from 17 built-in stitches, 4 sewing feet and has a well LED lit working area. With the 17 built-in stitches, you get a four-step auto-size buttonhole, blind hem stitch, couching stitches and a zigzag. It is very simple to use with an instructional CD to guide users.
It is pretty easy to set up as the upper thread tension control dial gives you control over the tension. With this, you get to dictate how loose or tight your stitches are. Is’s portable, doesn’t take much space and has a protective soft dust cover which makes it a good fit for moderate home use.
- Stitches (600 in total)
- Top drop-in bobbin
- Digital information adviser and LCD screen
- Automatic needle threader and cutter
- Speed slider and electronic autopilot
- 17 stitches, built in with one four-step auto-size buttonhole
- Comes with four sewing feet: buttonhole foot, zipper foot, zigzag foot and button sewing foot.
- A very bright LED working area
- Compact, lightweight and easy to use with instructional CD
- 25 years warranty
- Ability to stitch fabric without any issue.
- Not very quiet in operation
- Not recommended for heavy sewing, leather, jeans and other tough fabrics
- Cannot handle complicated sewing projects
8. Singer 9960 Sewing Machine
For anyone who handles large and complicated sewing projects, we recommend Singer 9960. This is a heavy-duty machine that can handle difficult tasks. It comes with impressive features that make it flexible and highly adaptable.
While it was directed towards professionals, beginners should have no problem getting started with it. This is because set up is easy and there are many automatic features like needle threader auto thread trimmer, auto stitch length, and width settings, etc. The interface is simple to use and user-friendly. It has 19 presser feet and can work with others as well.
This machine comes with embroidery and darning foot, making it possible to do embroidery. It, however, cannot create patches or massive logos.
- An impressive 850 stitches per minute
- 600 total stitches including 4 calligraphic styles and 13 automatic one-step buttonholes
- Easy to use top drop-in bobbin
- Automatic needle threader and cutter
- Speed slider and electronic autopilot
- Rich in features and extra accessories
- Self cutting thread
- Programmable pattern
- Versatile and affordable
- Poor quality of buttonhole
- Cannot transfer design while connected to a PC
- Absence of a quilting tray
9. Brother XL2610 Free-Arm Sewing Machine with 25 Built-In Stitches
If you want to develop your children’s sewing skill or just introduce them to sewing, Brother XL2610 is the machine to buy. Its operation is simple, and teaching kids on the machine is fun and easy. It comes with pretty basic instructions, is easy to use and thread.
It comes with a total of 25 built-in stitches, and the width and length are adjustable via a dial on the machine. Since it is designed for children, it cannot handle thick materials. However, Brother XL2610 is powered by a powerful motor, making it strong enough to handle pretty durable fabrics like fleece or denim.
Users, however, need to be careful while using Brother XL2610 because of the abundance of plastic parts. The speed of stitching is nice, neither too fast nor slow. We love the abundance of accessories that comes with the machine such as zipper feet and rolled hem, a buttonhole foot, 3 bobbins, screwdriver and a blind stitch foot.
Users will find the drop-in bobbins are very easy to use as loading bobbin could be a stressful task. Setting up the machine is easy. It is portable and easy to carry about.
- Automatic needle threader
- Capable of twin needle
- Drop-in bobbin
- Carry handle supplied
- Free-arm sewing
- Dial-controlled stitch selection
- Automatic bobbin winder
- Portable and very light in weight
- Setting up and getting started is easy
- Abundance stitch selection
- Can handle thick fabric pretty easily
- Can be used for quilting when you purchase quilting feet
- Plastic parts
- Pretty loud operation
- Presser foot pressure is not adjustable
- Possibility of shadows due to work lamp positions
10. Singer 4423 Sewing Machine
Looking for a heavy-duty sewing machine? Singer 4423 is a good choice. It is a cheap, light and portable machine that handles heavy materials pretty well. This is the best sewing machine to handle denim, canvas, leather, and other thick fabrics.
It was equipped with a strong and powerful motor which gives it the strength and rigidity. This does not add to the weight (just 14.5 pounds) as you can easily move it around. This amazing machine can sew as much as 1100 stitches per minute which is a good number for mid-range sewing.
This top-notch sewing machine can handle all you throw at it. This is your ticket to producing stitches you will be proud of. It can handle projects involving satin, lycra, silk or rayon. It can also handle delicate and thin materials.
It comes with 23 stitches which comprise of 12 decorative stitches, a buttonhole, and 2 stretch stitches, enough for beginners. The stitches are adjustable as there are longer stitches for thick materials and short stitches for light and thin materials.
This machine is easy to use and friendly, especially for beginners.
- Automatic needle threader that prevents eye strain or frustration
- A top-drop-in bobbin which is transparent, allowing you to know when you are low on stitch
- Adjustable foot control pedal to regulate your speed.
- With automatic reverse, you can reinforce your speed
- Snap on presser feet which allows you change the presser foot anytime
- Three needle positions which matches your specialty
- Stitch length that are adjustable
- Versatile, affordable, easy to use and recommended for beginners and professionals
- Includes all essential features
- 25 years warranty
- Quiet operation
- Can handle thick materials
- Does not come with extra presser feet
- Limited stitching patterns
- Could be loud at top speed
- Does not give a tidy back speed.